Monday, March 28, 2011

Defining Some Christianese Through My Looking Glass...

Righteousness.

This is a word we tend to throw around in our Chrstianese speech. But what does it truly mean to be righteous? Jesus says in Matthew 5:20, "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." I might be just one of a handful of people who agree with me when I say this, but I think Jesus was being sarcastic! The Pharisees were regarded as one of the most righteous groups of people in that time. How was someone supposed to exceed them? But did the Pharisees really understand what it means to be righteous?

Righteousness is not an attitude. Righteousness is doing what is right in the Lord's eyes. It's about the heart and motivation behind your actions. Righteousness is the willingness to care for the most vulnerable in society. I read in a book once that the word "righteous" in Hebrew means "one whose aim is true." I don't necessarily think the Pharisees had an aim that was true. They were all about getting the laws right, being ABOVE everyone else. Being perfect.

Perfect.

Righteousness leads to perfection. Perfection by the world's standards is getting everything right to the tee, but perfection in God's eyes is maturity. I think you can be righteous and perfect but still make mistakes. As long as your "aim is true," you've got the point. I think we mix up the terms flawless and perfect far too often.

And once we find ourselves daily seeking after maturity, that's where we find humilty. Recognizing that seeking towards righteousness and perfection is NOT ABOUT HOW OTHERS WILL SEE US. If we're striving towards righteousness and perfection simply so that others will see us as such, then what we're striving for really isn't righteouss at all! That's what I think what the Pharisees thought righteousness was.

Lord, teach me and remind me to live in maturity so that I may serve you in humility and righteousness.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment