Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Giving all the Glory to HIM!! : )

Hey Barney’s!

So unfortunately I was unable to attend the retreat with all of you guys! I heard it was amazing though and I can’t wait for training weekend with everyone : ) The reason I wasn’t at the retreat was because I was in Anaheim playing in our Big West Conference Basketball Championship which we won! Our team was fortunate to go on to play in the NCAA March Madness tournament at Stanford! We lost in the first round to Stanford, the number 2 team in the nation but the experience was so incredible and I’m so blessed to have been able to have this experience.

Through all the hype going on around our team and all the attention and “glory” our team is getting it was easy to get caught up and loose focus of who the glory really belongs to.

It is fitting that the topic of this week is humility with the realization of how easy it is to fall short and live for our own glory and not Christ’s glory. People are constantly trying to climb ladders looking for the next thing to fill the void in their heart. They think, “If I just make enough money to buy this car I’ll be happy,” “If I just marry the perfect husband or wife I’ll be happy” or as is the case with many athletes, “If we just win the championship I’ll be content.” The truth is none of these things will fill the void in our hearts. That’s why people constantly climb different ladders in search or something but are left dissatisfied. Winning the Big West Championship was great and fun but the “glory” that we received lasted for about a week or two and quickly faded. This “fame” that our team had worked all season was gone in a flash.

The glory that belongs to our savior lasts a whole lifetime. He is the reason that we live, the purpose of our life; our everything. I was definitely humbled with the whole experience of playing in the March Madness tournament as God revealed how unfulfilling the earthly glory of winning a basketball championship is. The temporary glory that people long for only leaves us broken and searching for more.

As Christians we are called to be ambassadors, representatives of God’s Kingdom to the lost citizens of the world, (2 Corinthians 5:20) Living for our own fame and glory is not in the proto-call. He demands all of us; not just church on Sunday’s, bible study groups, or weekly fellowship groups. He wants all aspects of our lives, our sports life, school, relationships, and friendships. It’s easy to compartmentalize Christ into our lives but He wants to infiltrate every room in our house, be the center of everything that we do.

This blog is so awesome and I’m so stoked that we get to learn and grow from each other and be, “mutually encouraged by each other’s faith,” (Romans 1:12) I know this summer is going to be incredible and I can’t wait for the journey that we get to take together! Have a great week everyone! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment