Saturday, March 19, 2011

Peter gets interrogated

Hello all, I am so sad that I was unable to attend the training weekend, I will meet you all soon enough. In the meantime, I look forward to sharing the Word with you.

Have you ever gotten annoyed when someone asks you the same question over and over? As if your first answer wasn’t good enough or believable? But then again, we are all sometimes guilty of asking a question repeatedly because we don’t believe them or feel the need to completely clarify an answer for our own well being.

It’s almost demoralizing to have someone not believe you, when you know that you are telling the truth, and that your “yes” is yes and your “no” means no.

I can’t help but think that this is how Peter was feeling when Jesus was asking him “do you love me?” But it must go deeper than that. It kind of seems like, a test? There is always that “one last check” to go over everything before you “hit the road,” to make sure you have everything you need.

It seems that maybe Jesus wanted to ask Peter so that Peter was completely sure of his answer. When some people are asked the same question repeatedly, they tend to rethink their answer, and almost become uncertain of their own thoughts. But the repeated questioning causes Peter to become upset, and he reassures Jesus that he loves him. One could say that Peter was slightly interrogated? Peter did not waver of falter when questioned.

Are we able to have the same answer when being asked to do something by God? If being asked to serve or do something over and over, will you become annoyed and change your attitude, answer, etc, after four questions? What about after 10? 20? I think the ability to stay strong and firm is essential when serving and showing love towards others. If you have a genuine love of Christ, why would anything change? You initial response should be that of or close to that of Christ; and there should be no need to change anything in that aspect.

This passage forces me to put myself in a similar situation to Peter, and ask myself how I would fend. If I’m doing what is right and I’m where I should be with God, then there should be no problem and I can feel confident about my 3rd and 103rd answer. Trust in God leads to love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment