Monday, March 28, 2011

lack o pride

I always considered myself to be a fairly humble person, and compared with the world, i was. But when it comes to the true test of humility, i fell fall short of the line.

This morning, during the devo, i probably made more connections than in almost any other so far. I don't know if that is because God is teaching me more and more each day to be like him or what but... One thing that came to my mind was picture of two people standing back to back, arguing. They had differing opinions and neither was willing to compromise. Then i thought of what humility would look like in that situation. Maybe it's like turning around and kneeling before the other person in forgiveness. Letting them know that it isn't about me anymore, it's about them. And even if the other person doesn't change, or doesn't understand why you are doing this, they see it. They see it and feel like they can breath again. Like it's a breath of fresh air, or a glass of cold water to a desert wanderer. They see it and find it "intoxicatingly attractive". In my short life thus far i have found that the most humble people always think they have the most pride, and the most prideful think they have much humility. A quick operational definition of Humility if i may, perhaps it could be defined as "Having no pride in our own actions". For what have we done great but that which God has had His hand in. We are nothing without him and so why celebrate our actions without him. This morning, before i started my devos I read i section in "The valley of vision" (If you don't already have one, i highly suggest one, it has been very inspiring, and Extremely comforting to me). In the section, at the very end it read "O that all my distresses and apprehensions might prove but Christ's school to make me fit for greater service by teaching me the great lesson of humility". When i read this i was a little shocked because the title of the section was "Need of Grace" and i didn't pick it out for it's connection to the devotionals, but God had me choose that one for a reason, and it was perfectly fitting for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment